The StUB for Erlangen
Erlangen has over 100,000 inhabitants. With the Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, the city is home to one of the largest and most research-intensive universities in Germany. Thanks to Siemens, numerous software companies and research institutions, Erlangen has a high concentration of technical know-how. This makes the city a location with attractive employers. Many people from the region commute to work in Erlangen. A modern and environmentally friendly alternative is needed to counteract the growing traffic burden caused by car traffic – the StUB.
How will the people of Erlangen benefit from the StUB?
- By-pass traffic jams: The StUB will provide a fast connection between the east and west parts of the city.
- Whether going to the office, shopping, or to university or school: The Stadt-Umland-Bahn will run frequently and comfortably to important destinations in the city (e. g. Siemens Campus, Langemarckplatz, Arcaden, train station, schools).
- The StUB will significantly reduce vehicle traffic in the city. Roads will be closed to vehicle traffic on parts of the route. This minimizes exhaust gases and ensures more clean air and therefore a better quality of life.
- The StUB will be an attractive connection for employees who commute between the cities, with 10-minute intervals – the StUB will run even more frequently during peak traffic times.
- Fewer parked-in streets: The Park & Ride facilities along the route are an important part of the StUB planning. This will significantly reduce parking pressure in the city.
- The StUB is accompanied by a redesign of the entire public space along the route. This offers the opportunity, among other things, to create more space for local people – for a better quality of stay in the city.
- With the StUB, university locations of the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg will be connected with each other and the science axis Erlangen – Nuremberg will be strengthened.
- As a sustainable means of transportation, the StUB can run on 100% green electricity and thereby make an important contribution to achieving local climate goals.
Stops along the route
Where does the Stadt-Umland-Bahn stop in Erlangen?
So far, a total of 18 stops are planned in Erlangen. However, the number and location could still change during the dialogue and planning phase:
| || |
How long does the journey with the StUB take?
Based on previous planning, we have calculated the travel times for the following connections for you:
Freyeslebenstraße – Am Wegfeld
Sieboldstraße – Am Wegfeld
Erlangen Hauptbahnhof/central station – Am Wegfeld
Erlangen Hauptbahnhof/central station – Herzo Base/adidas
Erlangen Hauptbahnhof/central station – Herzo center
=> 15 minutes
=> 20 minutes
=> 25 minutes
=> 13 minutes
=> 20 minutes
Have your say!
The planning of the Stadt-Umland-Bahn is being done in dialogue together with the people from the area. Therefore: Get involved! We organize so-called local forums for each city, in which we discuss topics on site along the route. Higher-level planning is the focus of our so-called dialogue forums.
The entire route
The StUB will connect the cities of Nuremberg, Erlangen and Herzogenaurach as a tram. The starting point is the “Am Wegfeld” stop, the current terminus of Line 4 in the north of Nuremberg.
The next steps
Planning for what is currently the largest tram line project in Germany is in full swing. You can find out what we are doing now and how our schedule will continue.
Whether by telephone or e-mail – our employees will be happy to help you! A visit to our office in the city of Erlangen (Nürnberger Straße 69) is also possible at any time with prior notice.